Friday, November 27, 2015

Current Event: Europe Trip CO2 Emissions

This December,  I will be traveling to Europe with some girlfriends for a post-grad celebration. We will be traveling through France, Italy, and Spain...I cannot wait! Just the other night, I decided to look up my flight details in hopes of extending the duration of my trip (whether or not I can actually afford to extend my trip is a different story). I was mainly searching for the extra dollar value that this would cost me to change my return flight, but instead, I found a link to calculate the CO2 emissions that I will be imposing on the environment when I fly to France. Here are the calculations that were generated:




The transportation sector is the second largest economic source of CO2 emissions, following electricity and heat generation. Of this transportation sector, global aviation accounts for 11% of all transport CO2 emissions. International flights account for 62% of these emissions while domestic accounts for 38%.
I am appreciative of Air France's encouragement and transparency to calculate my CO2 emissions. Upon further research on their website, I found that Air France is constantly working to invest in the world's most technically advanced aircraft as well as implementing the most efficient ground and in flight procedures in order to reduce their overall fuel consumption.
I continued to research other airlines (such as Alaska Airlines and Delta) to see if they too had environmental impact awareness, and was pleased to find similar results!


CO2 Impact

No comments:

Post a Comment